Sunday, March 6, 2011

One of Those...



I went to a Korean Cultural Exchange this last week. I don't think there was a moment when I was growing up in Idaho that made me feel as much as an outsider as this group did. The girls were very nice, but those who were Korean were not very welcoming. One even referred to me as "one of those..." I don't even know where to begin on a statement like that...

Is it out of pity? Am I pathetic? Am I so beneath them that they can stomp on me? Squash my feelings and make me feel less human? Because that's how I felt. None of the Korean's...except for the one who'd lived in the states for 15+ years talked to me or looked at me.

Someday...at least I hope someday...I won't feel like I'm the one strange one. The odd one out. The one that everyone stares at first and wonders where she came from. I know it's a long shot in this life...It's just that sometimes, I wish I wasn't the one who on the outside, didn't look like everyone else.

Maybe if I learn some conversational Korean incidents like this won't get to me as much. At least then I can talk to people and begin the process of understanding another culture and language that I like.

No comments: