Sunday, January 3, 2010

80th Birthday


Carrot Cake
Originally uploaded by kharms5253

Today is the day of my Grandpa's 80th birthday. Actually, both of my grandpas are now 80 and fought in the Korean War. One was in the Army while the other was in the Navy. (The Navy gets the gravy and the Army gets the beans...)

It's strange to think that my Grandpas are getting old...I guess I see the changes, but at the same time I don't want to think of them as old. They're both very active and involved. One has an incredible garden that he takes care of and the other is very much involved in some of the bowling leagues in the area.

Last night I got to hear all about the aircraft carriers my grandpa spent time on as well as many other stories and adventures. He's been through the Panama Canal twice! I think he's done more traveling than me thanks to the Navy. He was originally stationed at a now defunct Naval Airbase out of Oakland (or near) and then was put on the U.S.S. Antietam during the Korean War. After their time over in the Pacific, the ship returned to San Diego and then went south through the Panama Canal and over to the East Coast for repairs. He then returned on the U.S.S. Shangri-La through the Panama Canal to Bremerton where it was to undergo repairs.

I learned so much about planes and aircraft carries. I guess he was one of the persons on deck who would help slingshot the plane as it was taking off.

What a different time that was....almost like a different world. I'm lucky to have these firsthand accounts. I don't think I'll ever forget this weekend.

No comments: