Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Last Week


Mural in the Rotunda
Originally uploaded by kiki5253

I spent a good portion of this last week in Washington D.C. I've always been interested in our Nation's History because, while it's short compared to some, it's rich and full of many events that shape not only our lives as Americans, but the world.

On the west coast everything is spread out. That's just the nature of this side of the country. But on the east coast, everything is much closer together. In 4 hours, you can drive to NYC - and travel through many historical cities such as Baltimore. In 4 hours over here you can go to Portland, but there isn't as much in between. Granted, I slept through most of the journey because I didn't want to be carsick...err...bus-sick. But it didn't quite click in my head that you could be in the White House and look directly across the river at Robert E. Lee's house in Virginia. Think about that....during the Civil War...your neighbor is essentially your enemy.

I leanred a lot about our country's history this past week. It's incredible to see the changes that have happened over time. History came alive at the National Constitution Center. I guess you could say it kind of renewed the feeling that I have a civic duty as a citizen of the U.S. Freedom...the freedom I have to do what I want, when I want and how I want...was bought with great sacrifice. The rights I have today weren't just given as gifts...they were fought for...tooth and nail and that's something I shouldn't take for granted. I'll admit that I have been fairly apathetic these past few years when it comes to politics and change in the government. A lot of times it seems like things are hopeless....that when it comes to voting...sometimes it feels like I'm voting for the "least worst" candidate. Or that party lines are so divided that it's hard to think that anything good will happen or that change is possible. There are a lot of things that need to be changed...Health Care was just one of the many things that needs to be overhauled and it's hard to figure out where to begin and what will be best for our nation.....but this goverment was founded for the people and by the people. We are the voice...each individual person...that's the point of the system that was designed when the constitution was written. That the states would be represented (the sentate) but also the people (the House of Reps - based on population). Hey...if the House of Reps is based on population...then you better get your Census 2010 on and participate! No one will speak for you if you don't do it yourself.

Just a little food for thought...

Enjoy the pictures!

-Cheers!

No comments: