Tuesday, March 31, 2009

#WinHiEd

So, today is the second day of the Higher Ed. conference I'm attending at the Microsoft campus. So far, things have been pretty interesting. Yesterday there was a section about FERPA and it was interesting to hear about whta other colleges are doing with FERPA and its guidelines towards AD and Directory Information.

Today so far, I'm learning about Powershell - which is useful right now, because I do a few things in Exchange. Nothing special, but it's a lot of fun to learn about this stuff. It'll all be more useful beyond the HelpDesk. I do want to get out of End-user support at some point. Not sure when though....it's been really nice to have a change of pace from things. Three days off from work to learn new things is a gift. I'm definitely enjoying things. :-)

If you found this blog, then you definitely need to take a poke at their website: http://www.windows-hied.org/14.html

Agenda: http://windows-hied.org/wiki/index.php5?title=Agenda_2009

If you're on Twitter - then do a search for hashtag: #winhied and you'll see what other conference attenders are twitting about.

This entire conference thus far has been a bit over my head because all I do is end user support. I don't do a lot of 'administration' when it comes to the topics at this conference. Things we've discussed or learned about were SQL Server Virtualization, Microsoft Research, FERPA & AD, AD Backup and Recovery....all things other people within CIS handle. Today we'll discuss SQL 2005, Clustering (I've done a little there), Virtualization, IT Governance and tomorrow comes some Security discussions and hopefully a few more things that I can apply to my current position.

No comments: