Sunday, August 2, 2009

It's funny...

How does God always have the words you need to hear, right when you need to hear them. It's amazing how that works. Just about every single time I'm struggling in life or am disenchanted by this world, there is a reading or a sermon that speaks straight to my heart.

Today it came from My Utmost for his Highest. It's a daily devotion written by Oswald Chambers that I received upon my graduation from LHS. I dearly needed it today...
In the world, you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world - John 16:33.

Or as the Message Remixed says: ...But I am not abandoned. The Father is with me. I've told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I've conquered the world.

Oswald writes:


...you will certainly encounter adversities....God does not give us overcoming live--He gives us life as we overcome. The strain of life is what builds our strength. If there is no strain, there will be no strength. God never gives us strength for tomorrow, or for the next hour, but only for the strain of the moment. Oiut temptation is to face adversities from the standpoint of our own common sense. But a saint can "be of good cheer" even when seemingly defeated by adversities, because victory is absurdly impossible to everyone, except God.

These are the things on my mind today...From the song I'm listening to:

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all
----------------
Now playing: Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now
via FoxyTunes

No comments: