Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday at Church

Today the power went out during church. It was odd because some of the buildings still had power, but the main sanctuary had none. It was during the last song and I can't remember what it's called, but the moment brought tears to my eyes.

The power went out and the music continued. A full sanctuary...500 some people probably singing and lifting their voices in spite of not knowing the words. The pastor then preached...it all felt raw and genuine. None of the extra technology that "aids" us with the work we're doing. Jut the raw human voice and voices lifted to the heavens.

Over and over the words of the song:
Jesus, I'm amazed by you...How Wide, How Deep, How Great is Your Love.

Unfortunately, power wasn't restored before the service was done. But I can't get the image out of my mind...repeating the words over and over about how great and amazing God's love is for us. And at the end of it all, singing Come Thou Fount. Beautiful.

No comments: